Forum > Password Symbols

A member asked a good question: what are considered 'symbols' for the purpose of the three password criteria? This particular member used a number and a period in the password and it said the password didn't meet the criteria. It was 8 characters long and had a number and period (symbol) so I would have thought it would take it. He changed the period to an exclamation mark and then it accepted it. I was able to confirm the behavior. I assume that a "." is not classified as a symbol so I was wondering what characters are specified as a symbol.

Thank you!

August 15, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterRay

Hi Ray,
Well... that sure is perplexing! Periods are considered symbols and will work in passwords, so I'm not sure what would have been the issue for your member.

Amy
Instant Church Directory Team

August 16, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterAmy C.

I tried using such a password as well on the web page (singing up as a new member to get access) and it failed. One such password is
aa4.bird (not the one I actually used). It has a symbol and number and 8 characters. Changing from a period to exclamation makes it pass the criteria.

August 16, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterRay

Hi Ray,
The password you mentioned above - aa4.bird will work as a password on the Android and iOS apps since it is 8 characters and contains at least two of the following: Capital Letters, Numbers or Symbols.

However, I think you may have uncovered a bug on the Member Website. That password should work there too for Create Login, but as you found, does not! I'm escalating this up to the team. Thank you for calling this out!

Amy
Instant Church Directory Team

August 20, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterAmy C.