Forum > Feedback on the Broadcast Tool

Hi all!

I wanted to start a fresh thread for any questions or comments on the Step 9 Broadcast tool.

A few of you have asked already - YES, we do hope to enable text messaging soon after the New Year. We decided to not hold up the emailing while we figured out of the rest of the kinks with sending a text message to a phone. But we will keep you posted.

Thanks again for all of you have interacted and supported us these last few weeks!
Katie

December 22, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterKatie Barratt

Would be nice if there were basic formatting features. Even if you hit "return" when writing the email, the actual email just runs the lines together.

December 22, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterTim Sisk

Hi there and Merry Christmas!

I agree with Tom Sisk - Text-only is fine - however - is it possible to include some basic formatting controls? It would be wonderful if there were paragraph breaks, etc.

Thanks!
Jaime

December 22, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJaime Z.

When trying to send a test broadcast email, it says my email is not valid...but it is. Am I doing something wrong?

December 23, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterNUME90

Hi Tim and Jaime, thanks for your feedback! We started with pretty bare bones to see how people are using it before adding, but I agree that paragraph breaks would be useful. I've brought this up to the team to see if we can implement that quickly.

Nume90 - it sounds like our email validator is not recognizing your email address. If you would like to email us at service@instantchurchdirectory.com, we'd love to try and understand why your email is not being accepted.

December 23, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterKatie Barratt

Thanks Katie for your responsiveness and upbeat tone in your responses. Helps immensely. Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Jaime

December 23, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJaime Z.

Hi Jamie, Thanks for your swift reply. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to send an email broadcast just to myself and husband to test this before sending to everyone, and didn't understand what publish meant. Am thinking that I really can't send to just one person, but it is either the whole contact list who have submitted email addresses, or to a group. Guess that is what the word "broadcast" means! Thanks for this feature. Merry Christmas!

December 23, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterNUME90

Would there ever be a way that graphics could be added to the broadcast news at some point?

December 23, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterShelly

One more thing...is there a way for the message to say that it's coming from our church instead of having my name in the sender field?

December 23, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterShelly

Hi Shelly!

Our future goals are to add more bells and whistles to the email feature, which would definitely include photos! This however will be after text messaging and updates to the mobile apps to include groups.

As for your second question, yes there is! On the Publish page, under "Set the email details" (under choosing your groups), you can change that "From Name:" to be whatever you would like before you send.

Thanks,
Kristen

Hey all - just wanted to let you know we released an update so the Quick Message now respects your paragraph breaks!

Katie

December 29, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterKatie Barratt

Hi Katie.

Thanks for the update - the resulting email from the broadcast email feature retains the paragraph breaks as expected. This is a good thing!

NEW ITEM
I just noticed that the FOOTER in the email contains the Church Name (good) and my address (not so good).

Since there does not seem to be a place for the church address (maybe in the "Settings" page?), maybe just do not display the footer?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Jaime

December 29, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJaime Z.

Thanks so much for that update! It will really make the email look more professional, but more importantly make it easier to read and understand.

December 29, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterNUME90

It is critical that groups are properly defined for the Broadcast feature so that the right people receive the update. However, the administration of the Group feature is not intuitive. It took me a little while to figure out how to create a group while editing a family - one has to edit each family and check the group that applies.

But I am still struggling with how to apply a group to an individual within a family. I created a group for Vestry and I don't want the email to go to the spouse or whole family, only the specific individual part of the group. Thanks

December 30, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterPeterP

Never mind my last question, I figured it out by editing each individual clicking on their name.

What would really be efficient though, is a spreadsheet like listing where of names where one can just check off each group membership.
Thanks

Ok, apologies... but I have to add one more post. Once I switched all my Group settings, from Family to the Individuals, I lost a lot of the people from the Broadcast. Although they are properly checked on the individual names, they do not appear in the Group List during the Broadcast Public workflow... some do, some don't.

Hi Katie - quick question:

When I send myself a test Broadcast email, the expression, (MERGED VERSION) is appended to my Subject Line. ( I wish I could include a screen shot!)

How do I remove the (MERGED VERSION)?

Thanks!

December 30, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJaime Z.

Hi Jamie!

I wanted to address a couple of your concerns:

1) Your address showing in the footer - by CAN-SPAM law an address is required in the footer when sending out mass emails. You can however, click on "My Account" and change the shipping address to the church address - then the church address will show in the footer. Add your address to the billing address and you'll still receive correspondence, invoice etc from us. This should resolve the issue you're having:)

2) Test emails - We know it's annoying, but the mail service we use flags every test email with (MERGED VERSION) and there's not a way for that to be deleted or taken off. Rest assured when your emails are sent to your members, that will not be appended to the subject line.

December 31, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

Peter P. -

I'm sorry you're running into issues. I actually had the same problem and realized I didn't have email addresses listed for the individuals.

When using an individual, you have to move the email address (or add one) to that individual and click Allow.

It doesn’t know what email goes with what person, so you have to move the email address, click allow and click the group. Does that make sense? Does that resolve your issue?

December 31, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

Hello Jody,

Thanks for the clarification about Broadcast Email "footers" and (MERGED VERSION) with TEST emails.

Wishing you and yours a blessed and happy new year!

Jaime

December 31, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJaime Z.

Hi Jody

Thanks for the feedback but that didn't work. I already had emails for every individual member of that group and email enabled, but only 5 show out of 11 when I go to publish view. Somehow it is not picking up all individual members of that group.

I tested it multiple times, re-enabled the group at the family level and it showed up in broadcast. But then I switched back to individual only and the person no longer showed on the publish view for broadcast...

Peter

December 31, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterPeterP

Hey PeterP.

I am so sorry you're still having an issue! Can you please email us at service@instantchurchdirectory.com and include your name, phone number and account number? We'll contact you directly so we can get this resolved:)

January 4, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

I have only been recently exploring the Broadcast News functionality but I find not having a basic formatting tool available disappointing. It really makes sending a broadcast message unappealing because there are no features in which to apply formatting like bullets, fonts, font sizes, indents, etc. We do already have email groups in our email program so until formatting options are added, I really don't see that the Broadcast feature will be used much. What a shame because having this feature would actually eliminate the need to maintain separate lists in separate programs. I really hope adding formatting features is on the list of improvements.

July 24, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterJoyce Kirkpatrick

Hi Joyce,
This is great feedback! We have plans to add more editing features to the broadcast email feature. Those updates won't happen this year I don't believe, but we hear you!

Our current project is to update the mobile apps to include groups and resolve a few bugs.

Amy
Instant Church Directory Team

July 25, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterAmy C.

I just sent out a Broadcast News email to our church body. My pastor wanted me to include a graphic with it but I was unable to do so. In 2016 Amy said that there were plans to add more editing features to Broadcast News. She said they wouldn't happen that year ... It is now 2019 and it still hasn't happened. Can you give me an ETA for this important update?

Thank you.

Anna

May 16, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterAnna Kupfer