Forum > Couples with different last names

We have many couples with different last names (Mary Smith and Bob Jones). I understand how to list Mary Smith WITH Bob Jones, and Bob Jones WITH Mary Smith by using the "different last name" option in the individual record. But it seems like I still need to create TWO listings for these families so that directory users can easily search for Mary Smith OR Bob Jones (without necessarily being aware that they are a family unit). Has this been addressed in your recent updates, or will it be addressed in the near future? It would be nice to have automatic cross-referencing, so we would not need to create two records for these families. Thank you.

October 22, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDarlene

Hi Darlene! You can use the search box in the app or online to easily locate the person you're looking for. Does this help?

October 28, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

It helps me, as the administrator. It doesn't help the directory users unless I create two separate entries for the family whose parents have different last names. (Many of them do not use the app, and use a downloaded pdf version of the directory).

October 28, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDarlene

Hi Darlene! I understand now that it's the PDF your members have a hard time searching through for families with different last names. I have captured this for our team and appreciate your feedback!

October 29, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

We are new users with the same challenge. Has this issue been resolved?

February 11, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterGlad

I have the same difficulty... I wish that married couples with different last names would be recognized when we put them in with their last names... so far I have been hyphenating the two last names as the family name just so it doesn't say "NONE" or ,John & ,Jane??

February 23, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterJanine

I have the same issue, and hope that you address this soon.

May 24, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterDavid

I have the same issue, and hope that you address this soon.

May 24, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterDavid

Instant Church Directory needs to fix this! It's silly that we have to create 2 entries for the same family, just so that the "alternate" last name is searchable in the paper directory.
How hard can it be to enable automated creation of a second entry where the "alternate" last name is primary?
Bonus points if we as admins can select whether to have this happen on a family-by-family basis.

March 28, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterLisa Martin

Hi Lisa!

You are right, it is challenging to find an alternate last name adult in the Paper Directory. The Member App allow you to search alternate last names and find someone. but the paper lists the families by the Family Last Name.

If an adult had an alternate last name - how would you expect the printed directory to show them? Would you expect that entire family to be listed twice - once for each last name? Or some other way?

Thank you!

March 29, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

Hi Jody,
Yes exactly, I think we should have the option to have the whole family show up twice. And as I mentioned it would be extra great if we could toggle that option on/off, since sometimes a spouse is not an active churchgoer and doesn't really need to be easily found/searchable.

I do recognize that the app and digital pdf are searchable, and don't get me wrong we love having those, but many of our parishioners still use the paper version.

Thanks for checking in.

Best,
Lisa

March 31, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterLisa Martin

The way this was done when you went to those companies that printed directories after having you have a formal family picture taken (like LifeTouch) was to have the secondary (or tertiary) family name listed in alphabetical order with the notation "See [First Family Name]. So there was only one picture and one complete listing of information in one place in the alphabetical index but their could be one or more secondary or tertiary last names listed alphabetically saying "See [First Family Name]. This programing would be much simpler and save precious paper and ink as well.

April 3, 2019 | Unregistered CommenterAl Reichelt