Forum > Groups

I am just getting started with creating an online directory and am impressed with how easy it is to use. I wanted to know if the directory allows you to organize groups? For example, if I were to enter all of the members of the congregation could I tag each member as a part of a specific group and then create a directory that is group specific? In addition to a congregational directory, it would be nice to create youth, choir, sunday school, men's and woman's groups etc...

June 7, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterBrian Dreyer

Hi Brian,
There is not a way to tag members in the directory and then create a directory (or sub-directory) of those groups. That is a nice feature and possibly something we could add in the future.

-Jeff

June 7, 2012 | Registered CommenterJeff Widmer

I'm a new user this week, and find the software very adequate. However, I agree with Brian's suggestion. At a previous church I used a package that included that feature, and it was really handy. I hope ICD can put that on a front burner. [The other package was Church Windows]
After a few days, I am really pleased with what this already provides.

September 7, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterMac at Vint Hill

Hi Mac and Brian,
We are considering adding the feature of sub-directories very soon. The problem we're running into is - do you tag a family or an individual to a group? If you tag just an individual, and there are multiple phone numbers and emails, does it matter if we display all of them on the roster pages (they are currently all in one field). Or do we need to add separate phone numbers and emails to individual members. Obviously this would be more work, and we want to balance keeping the directory easy and simple, but we also want to provide the information users want to display in their directory! We'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Katie at Instant Church Directory

November 6, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterKatie Barratt

I understand your desire for simplicity but this feature would greatly enhance ICD. If, when you clicked on a name, you could enter individual cell phone and email information (along with an individual photo or not) ..... Then, when you were adding members to a group you could select either an individual or a family, wow! You could create directories of families OR individuals. The ability to create subgroup directories, I believe, is the single biggest enhancement (along with web version) you could add. We have 629 entries in our directory. Imagine how useful that would be.

November 11, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterFred Huggins

I also would like to be able to have different groups. We have a lot college students and Job Corps kids that attend our church. And since that that population changes so frequently, I would really like for them to have their own groups without having to have a separate directory. Love the program.

November 12, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJuanita Whittecar

Waited a couple years to follow up on this... Is the ability to have sub-groups on the app available or on the road-map yet?

June 6, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterBrian

Hi Brian,
Showing groups in the apps is high on the list of feature improvements. We have not yet landed on which major features we'll pick up next however.

I want to be sure I understand what you mean by "sub-groups" though. Can you give us example?

Thanks!
Amy
Instant Church Directory Team

June 8, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterAmy C.

I can't speak for Brian but for our purposes it would be really nice to print (to paper or pdf) a file that contains both the individual information and a photo (family photo would be fine) for any subgroup. For example, a bible class containing 30 couples would have 30 different people in the subgroup but it would use the family photo twice for each family. That way we don't have to do an individual photo for every member. Individual photos would be nice but too cumbersome for us.

June 8, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterFred Huggins

Correction to above post. 60 people in the group using the same family photo twice.

June 8, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterFred Huggins

Hi Fred,
Yes - we've considered adding photos to the printed/PDF version of the "groups" sub directories. We'll add your thoughts about using the family photo on the feature enhancement notes we have.

Thank you for taking the time to post that thought!
Amy
Instant Church Directory Team

June 8, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterAmy C.

I too am looking to have groups show up in the app. When you click on a family or individual (depending how it was entered) it should list all the groups they belong to just like it lists the address, phone number, birthday, etc. This would be extremely useful to see what groups/committees they belong to...or even a specific Deacon group. IF this feature is not available, then is it being considered? I want more information to be shown when you select the family. Everything else in the family edit page shows up when you open the app (except "Notes:") so why not have the groups show up as well? A work around is to write everything in the "Additional Details:" section but this becomes very laborious having to type everything for each family.

September 26, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDon Page

Hi Don! Thank you for your suggestion on adding group information in the app. This isn't something that is currently available, but I have documented this for our team to take a look at for future improvements. I can definitely see where typing in everything in additional details would be time consuming for sure, but it would be a workaround at this point. Thank you again!

September 27, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

In a recent meeting of our Trustees I was asked if it was possible to add the trustees to the directory. I pointed out that they were in there but as individuals not as members of the board of trustees. I was then asked if it would be possible to ad them as trustees. I paused for a moment and thought about the ICD interface and said that I could create a group and add the trustees to that group, but added that I did not know if it would be possible to search the directory by groups. Of course the follow-up was: "Why not?" It seems like a good question. So, I'm bringing it to you; why can't you search by group. It seen's like that would be a handy feature for those using the directory.

April 25, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterRick Bolin

Hi Rick!

I agree, searching groups would be a handy feature. Currently, groups are not searchable, but it is on our improvements board to look at in the future.

A work-around for now could be to include the trustees as Staff in step - 3. You can’t search staff, but you can have a heading of Trustees under staff and add their names as well as their contact info. I know this isn't the ideal scenario, but might be helpful for now.

April 26, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

I too, would like to search for subgroups online. I especially would like to be able to send a quick message to this group easily through the "Broadcast" area. Thanks for considering.

April 26, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterMary E.

Hi Mary! I have added your input for searching groups online as well. You are, however, able to send a quick message to your group(s).

In Step 1 - families, you can add a family or individual to a group, (make sure they also have an email address listed). Then on Step 9," Broadcast News" click quick message and select the blue button "select contacts and publish". From here, you'll see your groups listed with the families or individuals you have included. I hope this helps:)

May 1, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

When we open the app, we see:
A church Page
A staff page
Then the members are listed below.

Is there anyway to add another group besides the staff? We have a school of preaching in our church and we would like to be able to add a group below staff that would say, "Students."

November 9, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve! There currently is not a way to add a tab/page to view in the app. I have added your comments for our team as we look at upcoming features to pick up. Thank you for posting out!

November 10, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

I also agree with Steve's suggestion for groups besides Staff. We would like to have our Worship Music team available to view easily as a group in the App.

November 30, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterRachael

I am also hoping for a way to add other tabs/pages for the different Teams we have at our church... Elders, Deacons, Property Team, Education Team, etc...
We want our members to be able to view those people just like they can view Staff. Currently I have listed them all under Staff using page breaks, but it goes on forever. And it's not the most friendly having to move people to the right area using arrows.
I also don't see a way to add a Group on my computer. I see Groups is a new thing, but is this not something I can add in the web browser?

March 21, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterTyla V.

Hi Tyla,

We have released groups on Android and the PDF, however, we are currently working on it for iOS and the website. We're close to rolling that out:)

March 22, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

Hi, Jody - I see the groups are now viewable from my iPhone (iOS). I don't see them in the members website area. Is it there and I've missed it or is that under separate development?

Thank you!

June 2, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterNancy

Hey Nancy,

Groups have not been released to the members website yet, but it's coming:)

Have a great day!

June 4, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterJody H.

Have I overlooked a step to delete or rename specific groups? As in 2017 Trustees no longer needed but 2018 Trustees group is needed. Or a ministry group that is no longer active (Single Moms Ministry, etc.).

June 14, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterKATHY